Thursday, December 8, 2011

We are Students, We are the 99%


Today I went to D.C. to run a couple errands. I parked in the Investment Banking parking garage and right away realized I was out of my element. I realized businessmen, security guards, surrounded and that these were some of society’s wealthiest. It obviously occurred to me that I hope to strive to work in an environment like this. I was walking among “the 1%.” I walked outside of the investment building into a dreary, miserable day. It was pouring down rain and was cold. I turned the corner and soon encountered the Occupy DC camp in Freedom Plaza. I was complaining about how wet and cold I was, but here these people are sleeping under tarps, which I can imagine is not the idle form of shelter. This then led me to want to research what more then stand for. I am aware that they want to reform corporate and government power, but there has to be more driving them.
Below is a picture I took today of the Occupy DC camp:
Above is a site a came across. It has few words, but explains and evokes so much emotion. This site shows fourteen pictures of different people and each detailed with an individual story of why they have joined the Occupy Movement. One girl is holding up a post card that quotes “I haven’t been to the doctor in 8 years” another one says, “My mom lost her job 5 yrs ago. I survive on food stamps and random gigs. I have a masters degree and no job prospects.” Although these are just two examples, these are two situations that a lot of Americans today face.
Part of this movement that has affected me personally, and will affect me in the long run is life after school. I am one of the fortunate people who have been fortunate to be put through college by my parents and have zero in student loans. However, I have many close friends and family members that find themselves in situations that are not as fortunate. My cousin is a Georgetown University graduate, which is a top ranked University. She was on both academic and athletic scholarships, but still has much over $50,000 worth of student loans that she must pay back. Here is an article about why so many young people are joining the movement: Occupy Wall Street College Students
Not only are student students in a large amount of debt with loans when they graduate from college, but many are unable to put their degrees to use. With the condition that the economy is currently in, the unemployment rate has risen, and the number of job opportunities is minimal. How is it that recent college grads are expected to get jobs with little to no work experience, when adults that have masters degrees and a lot of work experience can’t even find a job? It’s a relatively new stress that not only college graduates are dealing with, but also a lot of Americans are. The American dream is described as achieving “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,” but its hard to obtain all three when you can’t even support yourself or your family with the shelter, food, and even in some cases water.
The Occupy DC movement has engaged a lot of people from all age groups. Many of these people are current students and recent graduates because of the ideal location that DC offers and the close vicinity to many schools. There is a valid reason that these people are sleeping and staying while even the weather is miserable. They are doing it for us, for America. This movement has brought attention to the fact that the economy and unemployment rate really is a problem and something needs to happen soon. I am a college senior, in a couple months I will start my search for a job. This thought is already lingering over my head and has created unnecessary stress when I should be enjoying my final year. After reading about peoples personal stories and even looking into my close family and friends, I realized I am the 99%.
For further reading click here: Facts about Student Loans

No comments:

Post a Comment