Monday, November 21, 2011

Introduction: Victoria

Hi Readers-

My name is Victoria and I am currently a Senior Government and Politics major at the University of Maryland. I have been independently living in the District of Columbia for five years. Because of this I have witnessed many political and social movements firsthand. My major has also caused me to have an acute awareness of politics in the United States and abroad.

My group and I chose to created a blog discussing the current Occupy protest that are occurring around the nation, specifically concentrating on the one closest to our school- Occupy DC. This is particularly important to me because this is all occurring right within my own city. As a DC resident there are numerous people from my community involved in the movement, causing me to have a personal invested interest.

While at first I did not know much about the Occupy protests (other than what the main media outlets were telling me) I have spent a great amount of time speaking one-on-one with participants and researching other alternatives news outlets. After this I have begun to lean more towards sympathizing and agreeing with the protesters of the Occupy movement. While I may occasionally disagree with some of their methods and propaganda, I generally feel that there is currently major discontent with the government and those that enable it.

For the coming weeks I will be posting my own experiences, opinions, and other related pieces about the Occupy movements, specifically focusing upon the Occupy DC movement. I look forward to hearing your input and opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment