Monday, November 21, 2011

Introductions: Megan

Hi, my name is Megan. I’m a sophomore at the University of Maryland, College Park, and I am currently double majoring in English and Secondary English Education. Having lived in the Washington, D.C. area all my life, I am familiar with the city and very interested in what goes on there. I also like following politics, or following enough to know what is generally going on with this country and the world. While the idea of “occupying” various cities in the United States, which started on Wall Street in New York City, is controversial, I believe that the general message that has spread to cities such as D.C. is an important one for us to realize: that, for too long, we have idly and ignorantly let corporations and the “1%” make the decisions, some of which have adversely affected our lives, or, at least, prevented us from progressing. The fact that there is an Occupy D.C., in the nation’s capital, where these decisions are made, is especially noteworthy.

When I went to a concert in D.C. recently, I passed by McPherson Square, the location of the Occupy D.C. camp. I believe seeing it in person further intensified my interest in what was going on there and who exactly is involved. I hope that through the posts of the other authors and myself, you can also learn more about the Occupy D.C. movement and why it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment